Contact natives, use basic words, shared numbers, expressive gestures and a friendly approach to improving communication when speaking to locals in a foreign country.
- Learn a few words and phrases in the native language before your trip to make basic communication easier.
- Use expressive body language to communicate when speaking to locals.
- When appropriate, use numbers to make your intended meaning clearer.
- Take a professionally guided vacation to experience the region without learning the language, or have a local tour guide show you the highlights of the city so that you can easily find your way.
- Approach locals with courtesy to encourage open communication.